Laboratory of Medicinal Chemistry
Laboratory of Medicinal Chemistry (N17)
Head: Victor V. Semenov, ScD (Chem.) (e-mail: vsioc.ac.ru)
The laboratory was established in 1961 and headed by Dr. N.F. Kononov (1961-1979) and by Prof. S.Z. Taits (1980-1989).
- Processing technology for the simplest natural raw materials (carbon dioxide, acetylene, isoprenoids, cellulose) and waste from chemical industry (chloroaromatic compounds, hydrogen fluoride and nitro compounds);
- Synthesis of analogs and precursors of natural heterocyclic compounds (five- and six-member nitrogen heterocycles) and isoprenoids based on original technologies with the use of high pressure and temperature, gaseous acetylene and ammonia, hydrogenation on heterogeneous catalysts and high-temperature oxidation with nitric acid.
- The continually replenishing collection of chemical compounds (>150000) was created for their screening against certain types of anti-tumour activities using original test systems;
- NMR, MS and IR databases were developed, together with a procedure of the rapid structural search of molecules in chemical literature and commercial databases;
- Scientific and technical programs of the Laboratory are in demand by more than 150 companies, including world leading chemical companies, such as Glaxo, BASF, Bayer, Novartis, NovoNordisk, DuPont, Astra Zeneca, Pfizer, etc.